Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Honey-Doers!

This morning I awoke feeling like the sandman was still sitting in my eyes. This week has been one of challenges.

On Wednesday our kitchen sink clogged. This pretty, white sink turned into the bane of our existence. We still don't know what was clogging it, we just know that between Jim & I, we spent over 8 hours on the drain. Finally, I threw up my hands, and to relieve my poor husband, I called Roto Rooter. We were supposed to have the missionaries to dinner, but since our kitchen was in a total state of chaos, I rescheduled for the next evening.

Roto Rooter came out the next morning and worked on the sink for 45 minutes before getting the drain cleared! I remember right after Jim had installed this sink, for months I would say to him, "Thank you for the sink." I really loved this sink, and now that it is clear, I love it all over again!

Thursday came with its own "issues." We decided to have Central Air Conditioning put into our house, not only for our own comfort (I like being comforted.) but for the value of our home. I was able to get a really good deal on it from a reputable company, who agreed to put in the Hepa Air cleaner for FREE! Yay! Down economies come with their perks I suppose. Anyway, the Air guy was here and the Roto Rooter guys were here. The place was in a state of chaos still. The Air guy came and told me that he would have to take out the water heater in order to get the air cleaner installed. I told him, "okay."

Well, when the missionaries showed up for dinner, we had no water. It was a hot day, so it was a nice respite to have the air conditioning going, but we passed around the hand gel before dinner, and BBQd. They were really kind about being rescheduled due to the sink, and then showing up and having no water, which meant, no toilets! Poor guys. They were so kind. The REAL hero of this event is the installer. He came at 8:15 a.m. and did not finish until 7:00 p.m. He was veryhardworking, and even though it was well over 80 degrees, he did not complain. We asked if he wanted to eat with us, but he said his girlfriend was making him dinner! :)

Friday: the beginning of the assault on all things on the "Honey Do" List. What should have been the most exciting day of the week, Friday, the day that begins the long weekend, started the landscaping, barking, planting, weeding, pressure washing, deck stair staining, lattice installation and staining, dog care, window washing, garbage removal, clean up from the air conditioning installation, laundry, closet cleaning, vacumming, dusting, mopping, caulking, etc.









We kept talking about going to Kirtland to see the artwork. The reality was that this was a pipe dream with all we had to do.

Sunday should be the day of rest. Jim and I were up around 6:30 a.m. Jim had to speak in Olean, NY and I had to teach in Relief Society. I spent the morning preparing and Jim arrived home in time to come to church with us. Yay! He is often traveling and not able to come. Last week's Stake Conference made little impression on Jim and Jace and I continually threatened both of them, because neither one of them was reverent!!! As Briana would say, "Oh my stars and garters!" We were rewarded with a gentleman who came to speak dropping his drawers as he got up there. He's been losing weight. It was hilarious! This guy is amazing, though. He made a little joke and gave a GREAT talk; what composure. Even so, still really funny.

I had never taught in Relief Society before. If you are not familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Relief Society is a women's meeting. We are assigned to teach certain topics, and I was asked to substitute. The topic was increasing your faith in Jesus Christ. At one point, the lesson hit a lull and I said, "Sisters, I'm not going to drop my skirt for you!" They ROARED! Emily had missed that part of sacrament meeting while she was out nursing her little baby boy, but she laughed along with the crowd. Thanks to the wonderful comments made, and treats made by Karen, and the piece de resistance, Jim singing "Art Thou the Christ", it went well. We both felt drained. But had a kind invitation for a BBQ at friends. We had a blast, and not making dinner was just fine by me. After we got home, we worked until midnight.

Monday was more of the same: Honey-doing and all. We did take a little break to talk to Jace about Memorial Day, and it's significance. We had gotten an email showing all the burials of U.S. Soldiers in Europe, mainly France. I feel grateful for our military, and not just because Justin is in Basic Training at Fort Benning. I do not know what would have happened had the U.S. Military not come to Germany. I'm sure my father would never been able to immigrate. He does not consider himself German. He's been U.S. citizen for years, but his gratitude and teaching us has been ingrained.

As for Justin, he and his wife, Rachel, are brave and nobel people, who are living their lives by the best principles and ideals, in my opinion. Justin is doing well in his training, and his foot problems seem to have improved. He has been losing weight, so we're going to start praying about that very diligently. Please pray for he and Rachel. They are snail-mailing it during this period of time and aside from about 3 minutes of phone time a week, they have no other contact. Jim and I are very proud of them, and pay tribute to him and all who sacrifice for us.

Jennifer had a birthday on Saturday!!! She is 29! Wow, I remember being 29 the first time :). I think I'm the only one who thinks this is funny. We were able to buy her a First Edition Twain. It is a book of his impressions, a real find. She sounded estatic! I'm so glad. She is a wonderful lady, and I hope we'll get to see her soon.

I didn't hear from Daniel over the weekend, but Briana went hiking yesterday. Oh how I love to hike where she was! She sounded so happy about going, and was a little sunburned today, but feeling good. I am always so glad to hear her voice, and to hear that she is well and happy. Everyone knows that Briana and I are close. Lucky the woman who gets to say that! ;)

Poor Jace, he just hobbled to school this morning. He has inherited a congenital foot problem, and spending the weekend on his feet helping us really made his feet scream! I felt so badly about it this morning. He really worked hard, and planted some BEAUTIFUL Jasmine bushes. They are so fragrant. In time they should sprout up to about 15 feet and provide some privacy. Along with the lilacs Jim planted a few days before, it should make for a lovely experience.

We did take a little time for fun yesterday. We saw the movie, "Night at the Museum 2". It was cute, and have humorous moments. The evil Pharoah was played by Hank Azzaria. He kills me!!! And, he "had come back to LIFE!" If you've seen this, you'll understand this.

Last night we went over to friends for another BBQ! What can I say? The food and company were AMAZING! I really haven't laughed that hard for I don't know how long. I love to laugh!

So, last night, we wrapped up our chores by about 10 and fell into bed. I hit snooze several times this morning and drove Jim to work. He had a flat tire. I just returned from getting it fixed and tonight we're off to trumpet, etc.

Life really doesn't get less busy as you get older. It just gets harder to keep up!

I'm just so grateful for Jim and Jace for helping to get all of this massive work done, and hope that tonight we'll be asleep by 8:00 p.m. At least the results of our efforts speak for themselves. Honey-Doers "out!"

1 comment:

  1. What a great post!! You're a great writer. Love it!! Sorry about your rough weekend. We're in the same boat over here. We've been trying to get this house ready to sell, and of course our basement flooded right in the middle of it all! All the boxes downstairs got wet... what a mess. Anyway, how funny about the guy in sacrament meeting, and your comment to the relief society! Wish I could have been there! (Not to see the guy of course ;), but to hear you speak... and to hear Jim sing. Whoa. He's such an amazing talent. Love you guys! We'll keep praying for Justin. xoxo

    ReplyDelete