Tuesday, May 19, 2009

39 and Feeling Fine!



Today is my 39th Birthday. 40 is just around the corner, and surprisingly, I'm fine with it. Yes, I'm "wrinkled, lined, and flabby, " and I'm proud of some of those markers. (Not the flabby part, in case you're wondering) I've had gray in my hair since I was 29...I feel I earned all those. My Dad calls them "Celestial Blond." I hope I make it! :)

Last night, as I lay awake, I tried to consider all that had happened in the last decade since turning 29. I often do this, because in a few days, Jennifer will be 29. She and I are close in age, and so are our Birthdays. I really admire all that she is doing in her life; her schooling, teaching, and writing. It is amazing to me! Congratulations, Jennifer. And besides, I kind of love her!

Anyway, back to what has happened over the past 10 years. I'll just give you the Cliff's Notes version. There have been triumphs and tragedies, arguments and make-ups, victories and losses, and a lot of laughter.

Well, in 1999, we moved 4 times. We made our final move to Erie, PA where Jim began teaching at Mercyhurst College for 3 years. During that 3 years, we made many wonderful friends, had my mother-in-law, Beth, live with us, and had Jennifer, Justin, Daniel, Briana, and Jace here. And, we had the aforementioned, ROGUE! When Jim and I were talking about this today, he said, "Yeah, that was a lot of fun." And it was! There was always some chaos, but in general, leaving Erie to move to Washington, D.C. was somewhat of a difficulty, because it meant saying goodbye to friends, and children. Justin left for his mission in the Russia, Moscow South Mission for 2 years. Jennifer finished her Bachelor's Degree and moved to Colorado. Daniel and Briana moved back to Seattle to live with their mother, Elizabeth. So, we felt like empty nesters in Maryland.

Grandma had moved back to Ellensburg to spend her final year with Kathy and Terri as she struggled with pancreatic cancer. I'll never forget Kathy's kindness to me. I was explaining some of the challenges of having Grandma with us. She lovingly said, "You call me anytime. We'll take over." So, one day, I did. I so appreciate the care and kindness they gave to a loving, accepting mother-in-law who loved me as her own daugther. I look forward to seeing her fun personality again, and meeting my father-in-law for the first time. :)

While in Maryland, I started working for an Endodontist, and I've been with her ever since. It is a good job, and I'm grateful. Jim worked at Howard University for 6 years. We loved the Derwood Ward there, and our many friends we love from there. Jace grew up quite a bit in Maryland. He finished 4th grade there.

In 2007, Jim and I felt very strongly that we should consider a move back to Erie. We didn't know why, but after prayer, we knew we were to come back. Our house had recently been left emtpy by tenants, and needed a lot of TLC. So, we schlepped back, and Jim made that HORRIBLE commute for 2 years back to D.C. Again, Kathy to the rescue. She and Roger hosted Jim during that time. I don't know what we would have done without their kindnesses to us. Thank you!

Now it is 2009. Jim is working at LECOM as the Director of Recruiting, and he's really doing a great job! I cannot believe his success, and yet, knowing his great talents, I can! He is truly amazing, and I love him more than ever!

Jace will be 13 this year! Yes, our final teenager emerges. I hope I handle it even better than before. :) He is really a funny kid, with diverse interests and talents. He is my pal, and I cannot imagine life without him.




Briana is at Central Washington University majoring in Anthropology. She really loves it, and while I miss her, I am proud of the choices she is making and the woman she is becoming. She is so strong and full of life. I love her and miss her. We often make up our own words. Two of my favorites are "being in utter dumbdom" and all "fs" become ph's. She is really phunny!

Daniel is working as a game tester at Nintendo. He is very talented with this and they keep inviting him back. He is still trying to decide what he wants to do further in the future. He is one of the most loving and kind people I know. I love and miss him too!

Justin got married to a beautiful and talented lady, Rachel Anne (Currie) Moore nearly 3 years ago. They are very much in love, and are both so committed to eachother and their work. Justin has gotten his Bachelor's in Russian and Vocal Performace, a Master's in Vocal Performance, and a Performing Certification. He has worked hard. He is currently in Basic Training in the Army, will go into Officer Training School soon after that and hopes to be a Linguist. He is so intelligent and has diverse talents. It is frustrating not to speak to him, as right now that is a restricted privelege, but we hope he knows of the many prayers in his and Rachel's behalf. I know it is a time of deep trial.

Rachel is a wonderful sdaughter-in-law! She is very talented and intelligent, and loves the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have had many deep conversations about the gospel, and I cherish the times I've spent with her. She has exposed a deeply personal side to me that I rarely share, but I am thrilled to have her in my life. I am praying for her now so much, because she misses and worries for Justin constantly. In addition, I cannot think of anyone who loves him as deeply and completely as she does. I truly love Rachel!



Jennifer is doing incredible things as well! She is finishing her Doctorate in English-Poetry! Isn't that incredible too? She has also been published many times, and that is a real accomplishment as a young poet as well! Aren't my step-kids accomplished? Jennifer is teaching at the University of Illinois, Chicago while she is finishing up. She recently had to read 100 books in about 4 or 5 months and then take exams. She too, is a wonderful woman. She has been able to spend Thanksgiving with us over the past couple of years, and she is always a welcome addition to a party. She brings her own verve and personality to it, and she loves her family with a deep devotion that is wonderful. She never forgets a birthday, a holiday, or anything special. I am proud of her and love her.

As for me and Jim...well, I'm finishing my Bachelor's degree after a long absence from school, and I LOVE it. Jim finished his doctorate in 2000, as have many of his family members. They are all my inspirations. Jim is still my best friend, and I love having him home when he gets off the road. He travels throughout the Spring months, so we're loving having him home for the first May in 4 years. Prior to that, he was traveling and singing in the South and Seattle.

We've have fun-filled, stressful, incredible journey over the past 10 years. We're so glad that you've been a part of it.

As for me, I'm looking forward to seeing what 49 brings!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post Gina!! It was great to read a mini summary of your life over the last 10 years. You're such an inspiration to me. I sure love you. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete